Farm and Equine Vet Full Time Permanent Position
We are looking for an additional Farm & Equine vet to help us improve work life balance at the Farm & Equine department.
Here at Stanley House, we love what we do and we pride ourselves on our excellent patient, client and employee care. Most importantly we are a family, there is so much respect between the team and everyone looks out for one another. Our ethos is very simple - we want people to be happy at work. That’s probably why so many of our colleagues have been with us a long time and we have a very low staff turnover.
The role is advertised as a full time role. However, it is very important to us that our team enjoy a work life balance that works for them so we are happy to discuss working hours. Out of Hours duties are currently one set weeknight per week, one weekend in five full duty, and one weekend on second backup. Part time / job share working would also be considered.
Although experience would be welcomed, we welcome new graduates!
Informal enquiries are welcome, including the opportunity to chat to our existing employees.
The historic Farm and Equine department dates back to 1911 when the vets would visit the farms on horseback before progressing to motorbikes after the First World War. The first surgery was established in Colne, where our main small animal site still operates from.
We are now a multi award winning and multi-site practice. With the Farm and Equine Department being situated in a stunning barn conversion, in beautiful rural setting, nestled in Pendle, East Lancashire.
- You will enjoy great facilities for equine workups and farm animal surgery.
- You will be working within an experienced long standing team including an Advanced Practitioner and supportive Clinical Director. We are also very excited to be in the process of training our very first REVN.
- Clinical freedom and development of your own role, interests and client base is encouraged.
- Our clients are a great mix of dairy, extensive and pedigree beef and sheep, pleasant small holders and sports and leisure horses. We are happy for our team to have a bias to farm or equine and happy for them to develop in chosen discipline.
- The successful candidate will be provided with a 4x4 vehicle, laptop, mobile and a competitive salary.
- All vets have a half day off every week.
- Out of hours work is not generally too onerous, with help always available.
- We do have an apartment available over one of our surgeries with a reduced rent and including utility bills.
- We have access to a brilliant new graduate development program.
- Salary is commensurate dependent on experience and should fall between £32,000 and £55,000 pro rata per annum
- Generous CPD allowance which is between £1750 and £2500 with 5-8 days a year allowance time, pro rata and depending on qualifications.
- We are part of Vet Partners who offer great job security and work life balance.
- Stanley House has been voted Pendle's Employer of the Year in 2016-2017 and runner up in 2018-2019 (when the awards finished.)
- We are highly commended in the SPVS Wellbeing Awards and are committed to providing a happy, fulfilling working environment
- You have access to an EAP and we are very aware of the need to take care of our team’s mental health. We do have mental health first aiders in place and lots of other support available as required.
- We are a friendly bunch who love to socialise.
- Holidays are 6.6 weeks a year including Bank Holidays (Pro Rata)
- Holiday buy and sell scheme, so if you love to travel but enjoy the security could be a perfect solution.
- Paid subscriptions (RCVS, BVA, VDS, BEVA/BCVA)
- Corporate gym membership to see more information. https://www.pendleleisuretrust.co.uk/membership/activo/
- Access to a fantastic cash back plan by Healthsheild https://www.healthshield.co.uk/our-solutions/health-cash-plans/
- Internal recognition scheme and one also run by VP
- Staff pets are treated at cost (within reason)
- 1 days Paid volunteering leave day.
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Life Insurance at 1 x annual salary
- Private Medical Insurance available through group payroll deduct.
- Paid bereavement leave
- Company sick pay
- Employee opinion survey
- Annual pay reviews
- Enhanced maternity, adoption, shared parental leave and surrogacy pay.
- Enhanced paternity pay
About the area
We do think it’s important to help employees, especially someone new to the area, find a good work life balance and Pendle offers a wide variety of leisure activities.
For running, walking and hiking enthusiasts we are situated in the north east of Lancashire, nestling between the Ribble Valley and the Pennine Way, Pendle is a largely rural area dominated by the iconic Pendle Hill. The Forest of Bowland, an area of outstanding natural beauty, is on our door step and the Yorkshire Dales, Lake District and Bronte Country are all within easy reach.
We have two golf courses in Pendle and a sailing club on Burwains reservoir.
We have the stunning Crow Wood Leisure and Equine Centre and the luxurious Woodland Spa close by. https://crowwoodhotel.com/
The area is home to cycling Olympian and world champion, Steven Burke MBE and for the cycling enthusiast there is a cycling club that meets regularly at the Steven Burke closed road cycle circuit. There’s also the annual Colne Grand Prix cycle race. For the more extreme off-road biking there are plenty of trails at Gisburn Forest approximately 8 miles away from Colne.
Our corporate gym membership gives access to 4 gyms plus you can also use a further 13 leisure centres throughout East Lancashire, including fun pools and you can also receive discounts on spa treatments.
For people who enjoy city life, the vibrant cities of Manchester, Liverpool and Leeds are within easy reach by road or public transport and offer excellent shopping and night life.
We also have fantastic access to the motorway network and major airports.
Find out more at www.visitpendle.com
In 2019 we were very proud that our amazing Head Nurse, Kira was awarded the exemplary VN educator of the year.
In 2019 we were absolutely delighted to win an award at the BVHA design awards. https://tinyurl.com/4c68u9hc
We are very honoured to have won the 2016- 2017 Pendle Employer of the Year in our local business awards for investing in our staff and providing a supportive work environment. In 2018 -2019we were very pleased to be the runner up selected from many applications. https://tinyurl.com/ywv7eafm
We have also been highly commended in the SPVS Wellbeing awards twice.
About our team
Below is a video about the practice and you also meet some of our team members.
We have a friendly and supportive team. As a practice we do take part in a number of social events. Over the last few years we have taken part in the annual charity Pendle Pub Walk covering 13 miles and visiting a number of pubs for refreshments on the way! Many of our staff enjoy taking part in activities often raising money for various charities including:
- Yorkshire three peaks
- Yorkshire Tough Mudder
- The Major Series
- Guide dog challenge
- 50 mile Megahike
We are more than happy for team members to organise charitable events. We do like to be involved with the local communities and raise money where possible.
We have taken part in a short film about Euthanasia which is currently touring various film festivals. Here is the trailer https://vimeo.com/273735473
You need to accept our cookies policy first in order to view this content. If you wish to do so, please click or on Cookies Consent link in the footer to update your selection.
If you would like to join our friendly and supportive team, please apply by emailing your CV to: email@example.com
Alternatively, you can post your CV to:
Liz Edmondson Day
20 Albert Road,
For more information please give Liz a call 01282 860650